The University Archives houses materials relevant to UMBC’s history as an institution and preserves artifacts and materials relating to the history of the land on which UMBC is built. The property on which UMBC stands originally belonged to the Stabler family, who operated the Baltimore Manual Labor School on these grounds until 1917, at which time it was sold to the state of Maryland for the development of Spring Grove Hospital. The land was allocated for the development of the UMBC campus in 1963. Shown here is a photo of the Stabler farm, a wartime letter from Stabler descendant Harold Hayes, as well as personal objects that belonged to members of the Stabler family.
Source: Stabler family papers (Collection 27) & University Publications